[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Various Questions

Having posted these questions previously and not yet seeing very many answers,
I will place them out there in the 'ether' once again with an update....

1) Lifting an E36: Is there a recommended technique for placing/removing an E36
on jackstands.  The factory lift points appear to be the only places where a
lift can be used, and once used, you can't place a jack stand there since the
lift is using the lift point.  (just read it real slow and it may make sense...)

Kim & Mike Hood-Douda replied;  "I jacked up the rear using the diff as the
lift point.  Once up, I immediately put the car on jack stands using the jack
pads at the rocker panels. Using a long handled full size jack, the car was up
quickly and on the jack stands before it knew what was happening."

Ken Partymiller replied;  "The jack stand problem is universal to all cars.  I
try to remove 2 at a time (left or right or front or back.  I have no great
jacking points to tell you.  I use the two frame like members on either side of
the trans in the front and the front suspension bolt (near the rocker panel in
front of the rear tire) (probably not the right name) in the rear.  My mechanic
jacks on the rear end but I've seen posting that that can tear supports???
There are also the front and rear jack points along the rocker panels.  I guess
that you need to be careful, especially on smooth concrete.  Sometimes i put a
12-24" 2x4 on top of the jack to better distribute the weight.  May not have
been the PC thing to do, but I had to get it elevated to get the M3 exhaust
installed.  No problems have been encountered to this day with that method.
I'd be happy to entertain other ideas, as long as they don't involve buying my
own hydraulic lift!"

The rear differential can be used as a lift point - I confirmed this with my
local dealer abut they were not too happy with the idea.  After mucking around
a little, they agreed that you 'could' use the differential, but you must be
very very careful to lift on the steel casing rather than the aluminum portion
and you must use a weight dispersment pad (block of wood ?) or something to
spread the pressure out (you do not want to deform your differential casing -
very bad). You should also get the car on jack stands right away, so as to
remove the pressure from the diff. They suggested that you should only lift
from the rear end in an emergency.  Rumors surrounding the tearing of supports
are not false.  The thing to remember here is that the dealer says it can be
done, but they don't recommend it, and it is not an approved lifting method by
BMW. This means - tlift at the rear at your own risk.

Any other ideas about the front end ?  By the way, I'd love to have my own
hydraulic lift at home in the garage.  Any tips here ?

2) SRS light and engine washing:  Anyone know how to reset the SRS warning
indicator light ?  It magically started flashing after cleaning the engine
comparment.  I really don't want to buy a $150 reset tool if I don't have to.
No responses on this one yet.

TIA to everyone...

joe.