[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: VANOS

Hi gang,
saw that Neil C. O'Donovan asked:
>M50TU/B25 w/ VANOS
>Can anyone give me the definition of this acronym and what it means?

M50 is the engine type designation (small six, 24-valve)
TU is (i think, correct me if i'm wrong) the US specified M50
VANOS is the german acronym for VAriabler NOckenverStellung, which
basically translates to Variable Camshaft adjustment control.
VANOS is the little gadget at the front end of the intake camshaft,
that adjusts the timing according to engine revving and load (controlled
by the DME unit. DME = Digitale Motor Elektronik, don't think i need to
translate that.) Improves low end torque, emission control and gas
mileage.
Hope this has enlightened your curious mind!
Cheers,

Gunnar Elmgren
Stockholm, Sweden
BMW Club Schweden no 1436
'71 1600-2 Vollcabrio
'75 2002 tii
'90 M5 (with no VANOS.....)

Gunnar Elmgren                            ______'
AS/400 Software Support, IBM Sweden     o/______\o
///                                     (oo=00=oo)
                                        ii''''''ii