[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Degreasing cars the right way.......

Recent  Degreasing thread:

 >  I want to really  clean the underside of the car
>after the change so that I can check to see if the leak is from
>somewhere else.  Can someone recommend a good product to cut the oil and
>grime under there ?

>Gunk, available at most discount stores is inexpensive.  Be careful of the urge to blast off all the build up with a pressure washer. You could  unseat old gaskets and electrical items.  General clean first then go back and spray on more Gunk and clean with a parts brush.
"BTW, you might not want  to do this in your driveway."

Yes......Better to send all that degreaser and oil into the street storm
drain which drains directly into the river or ocean.......out of sight
and out of our minds.

We need to stop dumping degreaser runoff into our
watersheds...immediately.

It is more expensive(about$35-$50) to use a commercial steam cleaning
business
to clean your engine as they must filter and treat the  degreaser runoff
before dumping it into the sanitary sewer, But it is the "right way" to
clean a greasy car and motor.
The  toxic runoff of degreasing your car into the storm sewer eventually
ends up fouling the water supply downstream. Dilution of the toxic
runoff is the primary reason you have not yet noticed it in your
drinking water.
If you look at any Municipal water quality test reports, there will be
probably be
some petroleum distillates in ppm (parts per million ) in the water.
Here in
Southern  California we have many  contaminated  aquifers with degreaser
solvents from  past careless industrial practise. These aquifers can no
longer be
used without expensive activated carbon treatment.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Henri Baccouche
los angeles