[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E30 Lower Control Arm Bushing

TJ wrote:

>Well I finally discovered the reason my front end goes clunk and
>why it feels like it's ready to divorce itself from the rest of the
>car.

>My right outer control-arm bush is shot.  Packed it in...kaput.

>So here's the question.

>The Bentley manual says they're not replaceable....BMW dealer wants
>$373 for the whole control arm.

>Haven't checked Bavarian Autosport, nor our friend Rodd.....

>Anyone have experience that they can share?  Shouldn't be that
>hard to replace....asssuming there is an aftermarket ball joint that
>is available right?

TJ,

Is is just the bushing that has gone bad or is it the bushing and the ball
joint.

I had the same clunking noise in my '82 528e with 143K. My right side thrust arm
bushing was shot. My ball joints were OK, so I bought replacement 528e thrust
arm bushings for about $30 dollars and had a machine shop remove the old
bushings and press in the new ones for $35.

It took me about three hours to do this. Note, the car needs to be on the ground
(All wheels on the ground) when you tighten the nuts for the bushings.

So, if only your bushings are bad you can have new ones pressed in. If the ball
joints are shot, get new arms. Replacement arms for my e28 listed for about $129
each and many places will give CCA members %15 to %25 off. $373 sounds too high
to me, call a few places and compare.

For you e28 owners out there:
I read later on in the BMW Enthusiast's Companion book (available thru the BMW
CCA (800) 878-9292 for $29.95) that I should have replaced my bushings with a
DINAN replacement or 750 bushing (the 750 bushings are larger and the arms needs
to be expanded by 4mm) set as they last indefinitely.

Sorry TJ, most of my knowledge about BMWs revolves around the e28.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Charles Karnati

BMW CCA
'82 528e (150 K miles - Daily driver, Track car, Ice racer...)