[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Importing a Euro Car

I got some responses asking for more info on importing Euro spec cars, here
is the  information I have gathered thus far:

The most important consideration, the warranty (48 mo./50k mi.) is valid if
you mail the following to BMW NA:
        - Bill of Sale
        - Pre-inspection Stamp
        - Copy of C of O

        Mail to:
        BMW NA Inc.
        P.O. Box 1227
        Westwood, NJ 07675-1227
        Attn: Warranty Validation

The US DOT (202.366.2830 / 202.633.9660) requires that the car be brought
into the US by a registered importer (there is one on Long Island, NY if
anyone is interested, contact me) and they take on the modifications for US
safety standards.  EPA/DOT modifications are estimated at a cost of $7500,
including:
        - having a US trunklid put onto the car for the 3rd taillight (may
be able to                 get around this will a spoiler with light)
        - new chip for speedo (km to mi)
        - airbags on both sides of car if not already there
        - catalytic converter (car must use unleaded)
        - possible addition of side impact beams in doors
These are some of the major modifications that must be done, and this list
is not complete, but it gives an idea of what's involved.  After completed,
the car may then have to go to Ann Arbor, Michigan (not clear on what
determines this) to pass EPA/DOT certification.  You must also present an
"Eligibility Importation" petition which shows the difference between US and
Euro safety features.

Some additional fees/costs:
- - $400 brokers cost - entry customs licensed agent
- - customs duty of 2.5% of value on bill of sale
- - Bond US Customs - $5 per $1000 of value
- - DOT - $10 per $1000 of value
- - $550 - EPA/DOT recall warranty
- - EPA processing fee - 1% of value
- - $175 - DOT processing fee
- - $95 - Transfer doucuments - car pier to certified
- - $450 - Transfer documents - container pier to certified

Total damage - approximately $10,000 PLUS the cost of shipping.

So you see, it can be done just like anything else in life, so long as the
price is right.  It's not worth it to me to go through the hassle and wait
just to get a cabrio, especially when it looks like the '98 model year (new
body) will offer an M3 cabrio in the US anyway.  I'll just have to live with
the sunroof on my '97 (which I'll be picking up in Munich, early spring '97).

Cheers,
        Scott

BTW, I have spoken with many dealers on this topic.  I spoke with a couple
of guys at West Coast Autosport in San Rafael, CA, both of which used to
import (one was a GM of BMW Europe for a while).  They both claimed that a
car could not be brought into the US anymore, and based on their
knowledge/experience/well-rehearsed-line-of-bullshit, I believed them.  Just
an illustration of how a dealer/car salesman will say whatever it takes to
get you into what he's got to sell you.  Don't believe a word they tell you.