[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

328 vs. M3 Transmissions

I am currently in the process of ordering a '97 M3, for which I will be
trading a 328IC.  Now with all this talk of missed shifts, I am
concerned.  My understanding is that the 328 was upgraded to the M3
transmission in '96.  I like the smooth, easy shifting of the 328, and
can't imagine missing a shift with this gearbox.  But a recent post on
the Digest read as follows:

"In my experience, I have driven two brand new M3s  (E36 of course)
They are awesome cars, (I can see why I want one so much)  but the
shifting is a bit tricky.  More tricky than say a Ferrari or a
lamborghini?  No, but different from any American car I have driven, and
certainly different than other BMWs."

Is this true?  Is the M3 shifting/gearbox significantly different and/or
trickier than the 328?  Is there anyone who has spent reasonable time
driving both that could comment.

The 328 is the cleanest shifting car I have driven, far superior to the
911SC that I traded on it.  I certainly hope that I will get at least as
good a "feel" in the M3 as I am enjoying in the 328.  Can someone
addressy my concerns?

PS: My Porshe mechanic who club races at Limerock in Porsche events has
missed shifts twice within the last couple of years, both time leading
leading to pretzel-like valves (in a 911).  In fact, he's the CT Chapter
track chair, does Drivers Ed., the whole bit.