[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E36> K&N Air Filter Caution - From a Fan - not BS

     Personally I believe in using KN filters and am not worried about
     filter
     efficiency, However, upon removing my 1993 325i KN factory
     replacement today
     after a 200 mile round trip in which I drove for quite awhile
     through a
     stretch of Interstate where they had stripped much of the median
     leaving it
     dirt covered I found clear evidence of dirt/grit passing by the
     filter - but
     not through the filter element - it passed around the so-called
     frame - not a
     lot of it mind you - but disturbing. If you have experience with
     E30 airboxes
     you will know it takes a lot of pressure to snap top to bottom
     with the
     filter in place making a very secure positive seal and the unit
     lays flat.
     With the easy access E36 airbox you dont get a real good feeling
     of how good
     the vertically orientated rubber/plastic gasket is sealed it just
     sort of
     snaps down. Upon closer inspection of the KN I noticed its quite
     flexible
     compared to the factory unit and actually sags a bit in the
     middle and
     probably does not seal as tight because of this and because it
     did not have
     as much "padding" thickness to begin with compared to factory.
     Quality of
     rubber sealing system appears better on a factory filter.  My KN
     may be
     defective in its fitment - I'm going to check into it - but I do
     not like the
     "loose" way the filters snap into the E-36 airbox. Check yours
     out if you
     havent in awhle - and anytime you drive in a dirty area - at
     least its easy
     to get at.

     Happy Motoring
     Bart - Hoods UP
     <<<<<

     My K&N filter does not seem to sit right either. It seems to have
     thinner rubber seal. I've checked it several times after a 2 week
     interval and I always found dirt on the clean side of the airbox.
     I can not verify if the dirt comes through the filter or the
     sides. I live by the ocean with no dirt roads...

     This is not acceptable for me. I do not race and I can not
     overhaul the engine after few thousand miles, or after a race,
     like the race teams do. I've already changed back to the stock
     air filter. Peace of mind is more important than a couple of hp
     for me...

     Take care,
     Theo. '95 325iC