[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GS300 vs 540i --> Corrections

Sorry for the errors in my last post.  Here are corrections (which many of
you probably already figured out).

>Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:24:34
>To: rmwalton@domain.elided, bmw-digest@domain.elided
>From: Jay Snyder <jay.snyder@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: GS300 vs 540i
>
>As you are looking at E34 5ers (I love these cars), keep in mind that the
'92 >and newer 525i has the M50 engine (24V 189HP 190~200ft-lb torque), and
'89 -
>'91 has the M20 engine (168HP, 164ft-lb torque), which is a great engine in my
>325i, but a little lacking for the heavier 5er.
>
>I drove a 530i (the baby V8) that a friend was looking at.  The E34
platform is
>a really nice one.  It felt just like my 325i (A little heavier feel, but not
>much).  I like these cars more than the new 5ers, the new ones starting to
look
>too much like everything else.
>
>Good luck with your purchase.  BTW, the M50 engined 525i is only .2sec slower

.2sec slower in 0-60

>than the 535i.  You may be able to get a new 525i for the same price as the
                                          ^^^^
A newer 525i (not a new one) for the same price as the 535i.

>535i.   You will also get better fuel economy.  Another benifit of the M50
525i
>is that it has a hydralic valve train and doesn't need periodic adjustments
>($$$ savings if you don't do your own maintenance -- not a bad job to do
>yourself, 1.5hrs), the M30 engine in the 535i, and the M20 in the '91 and
order
>525i's have solid valve train which needs this service.
>
>-- Jay
>'89 325i
>'74 2002 (project)

Jay Snyder
email: jay.snyder@domain.elided
phone: 717-540-2895
Development Engineer, Automachine Systems Group
AMP Incorporated