[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M3 Engine Replacement Update

Thanks to all those who replyed to my previous posting.  In response to those
replys, I have the following general comments:

1. A number of you stated that the computer (on-board computer, engine
control unit, whatever it is called) can be checked to verify engine faults
and engine speed at the time of the faults.  Does anyone have details on
which faults to look for and how speed can be verified?  My local dealership
does not know how to (so they say) check such things;  I need specifics to
try to get more info.  HELP!!!!!

2.  There are ALOT of you out there who have had M3 engines replaced relative
to the number of M3s produced for sale in the US.  I imagine that most of
you, like me, are NOT race car drivers and do not race your cars.  This
business of (BMW) quoting cases of shifting from 5th to 2nd at over 100 mph
does not apply to most of us.  I was in 3rd gear at the time @ <50 mph.
 Although this car has a racing heritage, IT IS A COMUMER PRODUCT.  Issues
relating to low valve clearance and high compression are not communicated to
the public.   Either there are alot of poor drivers buying M3s or .......

Again, thanks for all of the comments and e-mails.  I will keep you posted.