[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Grounds

Tk Gustafson wrote:

<<After writing all of this, I'm thinking that the block isn't grounded.  It
was grounded from the a/c compresser (battery is in the trunk and grounded
to the frame.) as far as I can think, the only place the engine /
drivetrain doesn't have rubber mounts somewhere is the throttle linkage by
the gas pedal. and I'm not too sure about that.  Am i grasping at straws??
Please help>>

	It does sound like a ground strap to the engine is missing.  I had an odd
thing happen to me on an old Saab 99E, it kept killing batteries.  My
girlfriend, now wife, was helping me, it was just after sunset, but we had a lot
of late summer twilight.  I was in the car trying to start the &&&& thing and
she tells me to stop and come over to the engine as there are sparks
coming out of this piece of metal.  Turns out the piece of metal was the
throttle linkage!!  The engine although it had a visual ground, woven wire
strap, did not have an electrical ground.  The circuit was made complete through
the throttle linkage.

	One of the US manufacturers had a similar problem with grounds.  In this
case the problem manifested itself through repeated replacement of outer front
wheel bearings.  That is where ground was established for that series of cars.
In doing so it caused the bearings to pit and eventually die.  They should have,
they were being electrocuted!  HTH

Regards,

Joe Fahy
'88 ///M5