[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E28> Waterleak Into Trun

>From: selig@domain.elided
>After the 6" of rain we received in Boston on Tues/Wed I noticed that the
>trunk mat and belongings stored in the trunk were damp. I check the spare
>tire well and there was no accumulation of water. I also pulled back the
>inner side panels (grey felt board) inside the trunk....the inside quarter
>panel surfaces felt damp as if they were sweating.
>The rubber trunk seal itself seeems to be intact. I'm curious if there are
>any sunroof drainage tubes that could leak into the trunk or other obscure
>sources of water entry that 5' series owners have experience.
>TIA,     >Jonathan

It's got to be the taillight gaskets, always a good choice.  You can either
replace them, not expensive, or recalk them.  I like to use the NAPA Even
Bead RTV silicone gasket maker in the aerosol bottle  (like a Redi-whip
can, Balkamp #765-1481) where you can draw a nice bead on the old gasket,
and reinstall.  Especially useful if the car has ever been pranged in the
rear and reassemled by someone other than the "Mediteranean Guest Workers"
at the BMW plant who built it originally.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021