[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28> Re: Water leak Into Trunk (fwd)

>Jonathan writes...

> The rubber trunk seal itself seeems to be intact. I'm curious if there are
> any sunroof drainage tubes that could leak into the trunk or other obscure
> sources of water entry that 5' series owners have experience.

Jonathan,
	You've encountered another common E28 problem. The leak is not
from the trunk seal, but rather the tail light seals. If you look
carefully and remove a tail light, you will discover that the seal is not
adequate.

	Furthermore, while you have the inside cover off, check two other
common problems:
	1. license plate light mounts often incur rust on the body where
		they mount. You want to clean this up and take care of
		it before it spreads. Being in Boston, I'm sure you
		have this problem.
	2. Brake lights - check for dim brake lights. Does your cruise
		control work? If not, chances are a poor GND contact
		on the brake light is a cause. Note, sometimes not only
		cleaning is required of the GND track and bulb holder,
		but there may be pitting on the track necessitating a
		solutions such as soldering the pit and sanding it flush.

Cheers,

Filippo
(E28 M5 regretably for sale - http://www.usa.net/~lmorelli/M5.html)