[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Yoko AVS-I

Kim Watters Halapin <zgbjtjh@domain.elided> wrote:

> The reason I tell you all about the evaluation tires is that it seems to me
> many BMW club members are sold on the Yokohama AVS-I tire, probably because
> Yokohama and the Tire Rack sponsors the BMWCCA. I have heard the Yokohama
> tires are not too terrific in the rain but are very good in the dry. I've
> heard total mileage one gets out of these tires isn't too terrific though.

Actually, I put some Yoko AVS-I 235/40-17's on my '95 M3, and I'm a bit
disappointed with the amount of dry grip it has. I guess the only good
thing I can really say about the dry grip is that when they break away,
the tires are very progressive. It makes it pretty easy to slide the
car around. I think the suspension on my car is probably just too much
for the AVS-Is. In the rain, they are *terrific* tires. I made a road
trip from Maryland to Georgia during the summer during which it
rained/thunderstormed/poured no less than 3 times. I didn't have to slow
down from my normal cruising speed of 80mph and was practicing my slalom
technique around all the slower cars on I-95/85 ;) I prefer the AVS-Is
over the stock Michelin MXX3s for street use. They perform better in the
wet, and they break away progressively in the dry. I don't know how long
the AVS-Is are "supposed" to last, but I've got about 5k miles on my set,
and they still look pretty damn good. My Michelins lasted 25k miles,
which seems to be pretty good wear for these tires. (and yes, I do drive
my car hard, but I think being smooth contributes a lot to long tire
life. heck, my set of 6 R1s last year lasted through about 6 months of
two autocrosses and two lapping days a month). For my next set of
street tires though, I think I'm going to go with one of those
new-fangled tires that have that long-strand carbon stuff that
supposedly makes the tires last longer.

regards,
Dave
'95 M3 "trackm3"