[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 95 M3 Over-rev

In preface, I'm not familiar with the problems associated with M3
over-revving.  Notwithstanding, it seems to me that those who are
critical of the pending class action lawsuit may be forming a conclusion
before knowing all the facts.  How can one be sure that it is *always*
the driver's fault upon an over-rev occurance?  Could it be the fault of
the transmission which may cause a mis-shift in certain occasions?  What
is the incidence of an over-revving problem occuring in the 95 M3 versus
other BMW manual transmission cars?  Versus those of other car makers?
BMW parts and service are not cheap and if there is a problem that is
proven to be caused by a design flaw, BMW (and not you or me) should
bear the cost to rectify the situation.

In the past, automobile companies have been known to produce and sell
cars with known design flaws for the sake of the almighty dollar.  In
some cases, the company may have concluded that it would be less costly
to settle a few lawsuits quietly than to issue a complete costly recall
which has to side-effect of compromising the company's reputation.  If,
based on the evidence, it is found that it was indeed a design flaw, it
won't be the first time and it won't be the last.

Steve Young