[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Selling Used Parts...

To: Internet: BMW-digest@domain.elided

TroyB wrote;

>>I couldn't resist commenting on Jay's [Panetta] post because
>>the menthod in which transactions takes place on this list
>>tends to bother me.  Most individuals require that you mail
>>them payment for parts before the will mail the parts to you.
>>IMO, this indicates a lack of trust on their part and
>>simultaneously they are requiring that you trust them.  You
>>can only hope that you will indeed receive the part(s) and
>>that the condition was fairly represented.

Requiring payment before shipping goods is the standard in the
parts business (and just about all other businesses), not just
this list.

When a check is cashed, the purchaser has proof of payment.  If
the seller doesn't deliver the goods, the purchaser can take
legal action. (I agree this would be a PITA as most of the
transactions here cross great distances)

I've sold many used parts through the BMW-digest.  If the
purchaser has a name that I recognize as a regular contributor
to the Digest, I'll send them the parts first and they'll send
payment after they have received and inspected the parts.  I
couldn't bear having my good name degraded in front of the
wonderful Digest community and I'm sure others feel the same
way.  If someone stiffed me, I'd let the Digest know about it.

Similarly, folks have trusted me to send parts after their
checks have cleared my bank.  They knew me from the Digest, so
I was deemed trustworthy.

If I don't recognize the purchaser's name from the Digest, a
phone conversation with the purchaser usually helps me develop
the trust necessary to ship the parts without requiring
prepayment.

I have never been stiffed in any transaction that involved the
Digest.  Lucky?  I don't think so.  The folks that contribute
to this list have a great deal of integrity.

Jay Baudendistel
'84 318 DSP Autocrosser