[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cam Oiler Bolts..

Scott B asks:

>From: Scott Buchanan <scottb@domain.elided>
>Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:16:10 -0400
>Subject: Cam oiler hollow bolt part #'s?
>
>The FAQ on valve adjustment for my '87 535 suggests replacing the hollow
>cam oiler bolts and crush washers (2 per bolt) with the new ones from
>BMW to avoid the possibility of them backing out.  The part# referenced
>is old though and I'm having trouble finding the right one.  Steve
>D'Gerolamo gave me a part# but Bavarian says it won't work on the E28.
>I may have miscommunicated to Steve what year car I had.  Has anybody
>replaced these?  Does anyone have the correct part#?  Do the crush
>washers have a part# too?  I'm ready to do a valve adjustment but I
>don't want to have to take everything apart again to replace these
>bolts.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
>Scott Buchanan
>'87 535is

Scott - and all - the FAQ is probably from something I posted
about a year ago.

To get the correct parts, just go to your friendly BMW dealer
and ask for the oiler bolts and the crush washers for the 3.5l
engine. They should ONLY have the correct (with some blue
locking compound pre-applied) ones in stock. BMW changed the
bolt by adding the locking compound, but retained the original
part number. (Which I used to know, but I'm getting older 'ya-know?)

It is easy to tell if you have the new upgraded bolt - it has a
blob-o-blue-shit (technical term) on one side. It is readily
visible. If it doesn't, have then order ones for you from BMW
with the same part#.. the new ones, if I remember right, also
have a ring machined in the top of the bolt head - so mechanics
could see if the new ones are in place without removing them
(which would require replacing them.. it's a one-time use
locking compound).

Don

PS: You could - which I originally did - accomplish much the same
thing with some Loctite 242 locking compound (red tube, blue color
locking compound). This is the semi-permanent stuff (doesn't
require heat to break free). To use it - remove bolts and clean
carefully - blob some on and let it dry overnight. Install bolt
to correct torque. I did this initially and had no further problems
with loosening - but being anal, once I saw new ones from BMW were
available, I got them. No matter what - replace the crush washers
(they are pretty much one-time-use) and use a torque wrench to
replace. Being hollow bolts they would be fairly easy to break
if overtorqued, and you also would crush the oil spray bar tube.

Best,

Don Eilenberger
Spring Lk Hts, NJ, USA
deilenberger@domain.elided