[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Who over-reved what?

> I have two questions for these people who's M3 engines
> "magically" over-reved:
>
> 1) Who was pushing on the accelerator when the engine over-reved?
>
> 2) Why should BMW pay for that persons screw-up?
>
> I gotta agree with Jeff Krause.  This sounds like another
> Audi "I killed my daughter and it's not my fault" deal.

First, why don't we move this thread to the newsgroup? Second, people
aren't "over-revving" their engines by stepping on the gas!!!! In fact,
with a rev-limited car, that's impossible. They're damaging their
engines by going into 1st, or 3rd gear at too high a speed while trying
to select another gear. Even with your foot off the gas the engine will
get hurt. They claim the cause is a problem with the detents on the
shifter. This can't be caused by a chip with a higher rev-limiter
either. It's simply a mechanical failure. That's what people are
complaining about, OK?

Now, it's possible that a short, tight shifter is more prone to mistakes
on the part of the driver. Maybe BMW owners just need to become more
practiced as part of owning a performance car, but the jury's still out.
Getting 1st instead of 5th is a pretty big mistake, and some of the
drivers are quite experienced. This is a long way from the Audi fiasco.
- --
Ron Katona  ron3b@domain.elided