[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M3 over-rev

OK drivers,
        I have a friend (yeah for me, right),Scott, who is an SCCA club
racer, autocrosser, hillclimber, enthusiast, as I am.  Scott is an
exceptional driver, and we have many good competitions.  I rate us as faily
equal drivers, but, I have always envied Scott's shifting ability.  I grew
up as a track-brat, and have been around thousands of great drivers in the
last 31 years, Scott shifts with the best of them.  Anyway, the story...
        I was riding with Scott on day on a trip to see another friend's
Can-Am car.  The trip took us on a mountain road, which he knew well. Not
knowing the road well myself, I was content to cling to the passenger seat
and marvel at the dangerously quick approach of the pavement.  Trees flashed
by, tires potested, the shifter whipped through it's pattern for several
miles.  Suddenly, GNAACCHH!!ZIINNGG!!  Scott missed a shift! Third to
second, instead of forth. He pushed in the clutch with a gunfighters
reflexes, RPMs unknown.  I looked at Scott with raised eyebrows, he calmly
turned and said, "You know, I'm gonna hafta kill ya now".
        Even the best make mistakes, hell, I've seen Hans Stuck do it.
People are not perfect.
        Another observation, how many M3 trannies have pulled theer driver's
hand into the wrong gear while being used in normal, housewife style,
non-grip&rip shifting.  Also, how many shifters have overpowered Bob & Patty
Tunnell, costing them engines.

My 2002 cents worth,
Brad Gates
ITB 2002 (for sale or rent)

p.s.  Is your car named 'CRISTINE'?

"The wind howls...
      because it knows it has to race against me."   --Picabo Street