[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Vis of 30 vs. 50 Mobil 1

Hi Jerry,
	I unfortunately don't have another VIS reading of the 10W-30 oil
and won't for at least another month.  I do however, have another reading
for
the 15W-50 from my Mercedes.  It came out as 16.23 after 3000 miles of
use
on one occasion and came out as 16.80 on another after 4000 miles of use.

About the Energy Conserving II logo stuff I really don't know. I do
wonder if the
oil must be tested to pass some sort of test to have that logo or if it
is
something that all lower viscosity oils have.  What I also intend to do
at
the next oil change is test a sample of unused Mobil 1 10W-30 oil
just for control purposes.  Synthetics seem to be usable over a wider
range of temperatures and that's probably why the oil shows up as a 40
grade
oil at 100degrees Celsius.  I don't know, just a guess.

Also if anyone is interested in taking a look at the BMW Service
Information
Bulletin regarding their recommendations on oil viscosity here is the
number:
11 08 94 (4139)   Group 11 Engine      February 1995

If you don't want to go to the dealer, let me know and I'll fax a copy
to you. Please respond directly to me rather than here on the digest.

Prakash Maggan
'92 DINAN 750iL
Maggan@domain.elided
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PrakashMaggan