[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Cd changers

>From: metz@domain.elided (John Metzger)
>Phil Marx wrote...
>
>>Radio Model           year/application        changer            adapter
>>- ------------          ----------------     ---------------      ----------
>>CM5908  (Alpine)        89-93 E30         factory BMW only         n/a
>> infrared slot)         89-91 other
>

>Are you sure about this? The guys at Mesa thought that the CDX changer was
>supposed to work with this head. If it doesn't I'm screwed because there is
>no way I'm paying the stealer for the factory changer. Maybe I'll just go
>with an in-dash aftermarket unit and save the factory head for when I sell
>the car (if ever)...
>John '91 325iC

John, I'll repeat parts of a private posting which I sent to another
subscriber, since there seems to be a lot of interest in this subject, and
I'm learning more each day.

When the a early CD ready radios came out in the E30s you could only use
the Alpine with the Alpine changer and Pioneer with Pioneer.  BMW's
bulletin said:
"These components are only compatible with each other, the use of other
components is not possible and may cause damage to either unit."  The
original CD for the Alpine was the drop down door 12 disc unit, later the
shoe-box sliding door 6 disc unit, from Alpine.  My info from AAMP says
"aftermarket Alpine CD changers do not use the same command protocol as
BMW's Apine built changer. Consequently they will not work on any BMW
system."

I tried the CDX-M30 on one of the two "slot" units I have in stock.  The
plug-in jack at the back of the units is identical.  As soon as the system
is connected it blows the little fuse hidden under the cover next to the
speaker jacks in the back of the Alpine "slot" factory head unit.

The next question asked was: "Do I have to replace the head unit to put a
CD in a car with the Alpine Infrared Slot-type unit?

Not exactly.  There is a BMW unit which will work with that car.  You will
need a BMW Alpine CD changer and a data cable.  You can probably use either
the 88 88 1 600 178 (12 disc unit) or the newer 88 88 1 600 220 (6 disc
unit) which superceded to the 82 11 1 467 002.  Or basically any *Alpine*
BMW unit with a 13 pin plug arranged in 3 rows of 4 + 1 row of 1.  If the
factory changer says CDX-M61 and has the same plug, it's a Pioneer and
won't work. Of course you can always go the FM inductive pick-up route for
a couple of hundred bucks which will require you to tune in a certain FM
frequency and access discs from a separate key pad.   Or simply swap your
infrared slot with similar year car without the slot, but with 6 station
memory buttons, preferably one with the model #KE83zbm, which is a Pioneer,
and then the aftermarket CDX-M30 changer will go right in and comes with
it's own cables. Any of this help?

Phil Marx    BMWCCA #6021 BMWMOA #2024 (804) 293-8269    fax (804) 293-0817
Bavarian Motor Warehouse, Inc.         Check out our Web page: See our 1600
416 W. Main St.                        Cabriolet and other lovely BMWs.
Charlottesville, VA.  22903            http://www.comet.chv.va.us/bav/