[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Trailer Hitch for M3 & Using Your BMW

Joe U inquires...

Subject: E36 Trailer Hitches

>I can't be the only BMW nut out there that owns a Jet Ski water craft.
>Well....I'd like to use my M3 to haul the "Ski" out to the big lake
>(Lake Michigan).  I can't seem to find anyone who sells a high quality,
>non-obtrusive trailer hitch that clears the rear apron on my "M".
>Anyone out there know of a solution?

Joe-

to which Lowell responds...

>>I don't mean to sound rude, but you must be kidding!!
>>Why on earth would you tow ANYTHING with your M3?  Please don't do
>>it, that car is way to good to go and put it through such
>>torture.  I doubt there would be any hitches that would clear the
>>rear apron without bottoming out going over dips in the road.
>>No offense intended, but please reconsider.  I have a alternate car
>>that means much less to me that will be used for towing, maybe you
>>should do the same, even though that does mean not being in your M3.
>>Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Lowell

Brand spanking new 96 M3, thanks to Steve Diamond!
96 Toyota Celica GT

Carl R. Buckland responds:

I installed a trailer hitch last July, and have gotten so much use
out of it that I wish that I had done it much earlier.  Lowell, I
know that you think that it is blasphemous to even think of putting a
trailer behind your car, but trust me,  the more you use your car,
the more you will realize that it has a very small carrying capacity.
Faced with the decision of either towing a small trailer, or
leaving the car in the garage and having to drive your father's '79
Suburban, the trailer option will start looking more attractive....

Cars to are to USED, even M3's.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Lowell:

I couldn't agree more with Carl. I have installed custom trailer hitches on
most every BMW we have owned. I our case it was to pull a dirt bike
trailer. Pulling a 214 lb. dirt bike on a small trailer alone  is no
different than having 4 adults in your car, ditto for jets skis. Even if
one needs to pull something heavier, ever look at he size of the clutch,
brakes, and torque band on an M3? Like Carl, I used a very good custom
hitch shop that fabricated a hitch precisely like his, it's removable &
looks a bit like a square black exhaust tip.

Give Joe a break! These cars are strong, torquey and very capable of being
used and used a lot. I wouldn't advocate pulling an Airstream with a 318,
but an M3 can handle a jet ski. If he drives the way I do while towing,
I'll bet that Carl's M3 lasts longer than the guys who pull redline every
time they shift.

On a different but related subject, I'm truly amazed at the number of BMW
owners that simply don't ever drive their cars! These are -wonderful- cars
that bring tremendous driving pleasure and will go for 100s of thousands of
miles. Who are these guys that are always advertising M3s that are 2 years
old with 2,500 to 5,000 miles?

I have a friend who keeps a Porsche Turbo AND an Acura NSX in his garage
(never drives them) while using his E-Class for a daily driver. When asked
why he had these two beautiful cars that he never drives he replied,
"They're garage sculpture!".

Oh well, to each his own!

Steven C. Morey
smorey@domain.elided