[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E30> Tires

****************
From: "Steve Meade" <smeade=C9deltanet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 06:26:48 -0700
Subject: RE: <E30> Tires

From: rchecca=C9VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 14:54:30 EDT
Subject: <misc> What tires to buy?

>  I know this topic has been discussed several times before, So I'll ask
that

>  I'm fixing up an '87 325 that my brother bought for my niece. It needs
tires
>and I'm wondering what people's experiences/opinions are for Pirelli
P6000's,
>Bridgestone Turanza's & Sumitomo HTR4's. It has Turanza's on it now and
they
>look like a decent tire. It has a Pirelli 6000 for a spare which looks
good
>too and has very good tirewear (180) traction (A) and temperature (A)
ratings,
>(for what the ratings are worth...)

 I have P6's which are close to P6000's in design. I HATE them. They  =20
sqeak
on even the modest of right turns. (Street corners). Under normal driving
conditions they fall short and in the rain I think they should be  =20
outlawed.
They will hydroplane at 35MPH in heavy rain (no standing water). I  =20
wouldn't
recommend any Pirelli but P-Zero's to even my worst enemy.

>  I'd welcome suggestions for other tires as well that people like that
are
>in the $60 per tire range for a P195 65 HR14 with good traction and wear
>ratings. The car will not be used for anything but street driving (no
track
>use), and will most likely have these tires replaced with snows for the
winter.

 --snip---

I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE930 high perf. all season =20=
=20
as my standard tire ( will use snows in the winter).  The wet handling is =20=
=20
better than the Yoko A509's that I liked for just dry roads and they are  =20
rated for about twice the life.  ( treadwear 300).
I like the performance so far. and they cost ~ 65 each.   I got The Tire  =20
Rack's latest ad and brought it to the local Firestone dealer who then  =20
matched their price.

You might want to check out the tire rack's tires page for help.  They  =20
give a little info on the tire and a range of sizes and prices.

http://www.tirerack.com

Jeff

    Jeff Schnellinger (jms@domain.elided)   =20
             Project Engineer         =20
    Kistler Instrument Corporation, USA    =20