[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

'86 325e rumblings...

OK gang,

Back me up here.  Had the clutch changed at 117K miles on my '86 325e.
(Started doing it myself, broke 2 universals on those %%$#!((&^ TORX
bolts on the top of the bell housing, towed it in...)  The clutch now
feels great, but there is a rumbling/mild knocking noise in the drive
train when starting in 1st gear, and sometimes accelerating in 2nd gear,
but thereafter is gone.  When the car was in, I had them put a new guibo
in (duh) and a new center bearing, and the ujoints looked OK.  I also
had the half shafts removed, and the CVs cleaned and relubed.  I'm
suspecting a mis-aligned driveshaft, and that's what I've told them.
But, I noticed that there is a metal cylinder/protector around the
guibo.  Mine definitely was full of rubber shredding off the disintegrating
guibo, and the guibo "protector" looked wobbly, even when re-assembled.
What's your diagnosis, especially if you have some first hand experience.
I'd like to hang onto this car for another 5 years, but am being worn
down by a few of these more irritating "events".  Cheer me up, please...

regards,

- -bob smith
'86 325e, with rumble-seat