[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange noise

I have an '84 318i with 155K miles on it.  About two days ago, it started to
develop an unusual sound from the engine compartment.  The sound seems to be
coming from the rear of the engine.  It is not a screech or whine typical to
a loose belt (which are okay because I checked them), but more of a bubbling
scream that increases in pitch as the engine revs higher.
I always hear this sound when I start the car from cold and can hear it most
of the time while it is running.  It does go away some time but I cannot
find any correlation between when the sound is not there and some state of
the engine running (ie, after it warms up, when the clutch is engaged, etc.).
I am not the orginal owner of the car and I cannot find any records of a
timing chain replacement ever being done.  I am on the right track - what
does a worn timing chain sound like ?  I will be doing a cap/rotor and
O-ring replacement this weekend.  Does a rotor make any kinds of noise when
it is worn ?
Stumped...

Regards,
Jeffrey Smethers