[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<E36 318ti> General Questions

At 11:59 PM 9/16/96 -0400, you wrote:

>From: James Park <jj.park@domain.elided>
>Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:34:18 -0400
>Subject: <E36 318ti> General Questions
>
>My 95 318tiA now has 17k miles and few annoying problems had cropped up.
>
>1.  FUEL GAUGE
>Fuel gauge empty light lits up and the niddle points to completely empty
>position when the gas tank is full.  The problem won't go away even after
>I turn the ignition off and restart the car unless I've driven the car
>for 30 to 50 miles and burn up some gas.  Is this due to faulty fuel
>level instrument (I have no idea what's measuring the tank level) or
>faulty dash-board?
>
>2.  CAR HESITATING DURING COLD ACCEL.
>This questions points to all <E36> 318 owners.  Engine experiences a lot
>of what it feels like a drag or hesitation when I rev the engine slowly
>up to 3500 RPM on the first gear.  Right around 3000 RPM is the sweet
>spot where the drag is the worst.  I usually give 30 sec to a minute for
>car to warm up before I drive and I don't push the car until it is
>completely warmed up.  I experience this both in the morning and evening
>which leads me to believe that ambience temperature has little or
>nothing to do with this phenomenon.  Also, I hear excessive, I think,
>rattle/knoking noise which usually goes away when the engine reaches
>normal operating temperature.
>
>Q: Redline MTL transmission oil.
>Anybody can recommend a good source for this oil?
>
>- -jP
>'95 318tiA

        jp, I haven't had the problem yet with my fuel gague, which works
fine, but I have noticed the hesitation. It definately is there in the
morning, even if I warm up the car for about 1 minute. Seems to be a
characteristic of the M42 engine, as I recall seeing othe digest members
saying the same thing. In the evening when I leave from work the hesitation
is much less, though still noticable for about the first 1/2 mile, then it
smoothes out nicely.

        I haven't been able to figure it out, but as it isn't too much of a
problem I will just ask the dealer at the next service.

Richard M. Poniarski
rponiarski@domain.elided
'95 BMW 318ti Sport
"If you have to ask..."