[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E30> Washer Fluid and Timing Belt for 325i

From: WELLJM11@domain.elided
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:25:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Washer Fluid Light and Timing Belt for 325i

Ok - I bought my 325i Convert. about 2 months ago and since then, having
no records on the car (an '88 and at a great price) my mechanic tells me
he has no idea if the timing belt has been changed or not, and he tells me
\that there isno way to check if it indeed has been changed. The only thing
he
can do is change it. Is this true? My mind tells me that there must be
some way of checking to see the timing belt was replaced

	That is true. The timing belt requires dismantling of several things and
is enclosed. The only way to check it would be take everything apart. The
standard "recommended" mileage is 60K so it is definitely possible that it
hasb't been replaced. You can try to contact the previous owner but there
is no site unseen way of determining whether it has been changed or not. If
you don't replace it, and it snips, there is a good chance of MAJOR engine
damage. (read as: your pistons and valves dying a horrible death as they
collide) I would not hesitate to replace it.

>Also, the little "CHECK" features up above are nice, but the winshield
>washer fluid light never goes out, and every time I start the car the
"check"
>light stays on until I press the button, then the washer fluid light stays
on
>permanently. The fluid tank is half full. Is is so picky that it needs to
bne
>full to have the light out? Is thre some way to fix this?

I would try filling it up with coolant and seeing if it recitifies the
problem. If not, check the wire connection, and lastly, replace the sensor
(if it annoys you that much).

>Thank you all
>
>Jason
>'88 325i Convertible, 75k miles.