[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E34 Seat Clunk

Bill Kelly writes

>I noticed the same thing on my 88 735i last weekend, but have not
>investigated yet.  Interested in hearing about others.

I've made some progress. After seat removal and partial disassembly I found
a rivet that had "wallowed" (sp?) out which I drilled out and replaced with
a small machine bolt / Loctite. Under the seat bottom there is a cross
brace (towards the rear) that connects the two sides of the seat. This
seems to have removed the "clunk" sound although I'm still getting a slight
"shifting" sensation that feels like either the rear of the seat bottom or
the attachment point of the seat back to the seat bottom (interestingly,
this wouldn't seem to explain why my new (in 1989) 535i did this off the
showroom floor).

Trying to keep this thread alive long enough to hear from others with
similar experiences.

Any thoughts out there?

Steven C. Morey
smorey@domain.elided