[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Winter Tires

original message:
The time is approaching to get a set of winter tires.  Since I've never
done it
before I have some questions.

1. I've heard that Bridgestine Blizzaks are the best.  Is this true ?

2. I checked with local NTW Tire store and they can get them for ~$178,- /
piece, but Bridgestone doesn't make Blizzaks in the right size to fit my
16"
wheels (96' 328is Sports Package).  What should I do ?  Get a set of
wheels
specifically for the Blizzaks ?  To my knowledge there are some cheapo
steel
wheels for $150 a pop.

3. Get inferior (non Blizzaks) snow tires which will fit my wheels ?  I
don't
have any specific knowledge that anybody actually makes snow tires which
fit the
16" wheels.

4. Any words of wisdom on this issue ?  Do's, Dont's etc.

reply:

I've been told by two people who run the Blizzaks on E30's that they are
awesome.  One told me that he can even back down an icey hill, and then
start back up it.

As for the wheel issue, a second set of wheels is the best way to go,
because then you can switch back and forth w/o the mount/balance
cost/hassel.

You should get a set of 15" wheels (check brake clearances) for your snow
tires.

Also note that if you go on any long trips to where it is warm, put your
summer wheels/tires on, as the blizzaks will disintigrate in warm
conditions.

Jay
'89 325i
'74 2002 (project -- getting engine this weekend!)