[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #238

My first post here and I hope it works.  I am in the market, and have
been considering 1990-94 5 series BMWs.  Never owned a BMW, still don't
know much about them.

Was looking for a 1992 535i (this was for price purposes), but walked
into alocal dealership and drove a '94 540i, which they had on the lot.
 Very nice car.  More than I intended to pay, but checking prices, it's
close to wholesale.  Also drove a '93 Lexus GS300 at the same
dealership.  I know, not the same car, still, I am now stymied by the
dilemma:

1) do I buy the '94 540i @ $33,000 (full "blue book" is $43,000)
	one owner, low mileage, still factory warranty
	Alpine sound system with CD changer and BMW car phone
	immaculate

or

2) do I buy the '93 GS300 @ $27,000* (full "blue book" is $26,000)
	one owner, low mileage, still factory warranty
	nakamichi sound system with CD changer
	immaculate
	*$1,700 for custom wheels

My head tells me to go with the Lexus for reliability, service, comfort,
less cash layout and better depreciation.  My heart tells me to go with
the BMW for performance, price/worth ratio, styling, and features.

Head over heart or heart over head?  In 5 years, will I regret owning
the BMW because of service and repairs, or will I regret not owning the
BMW because of a lost opportunity to buy the "ultimate driving machine"
at wholsale?

What should I do?  Replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob