[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002tii question

> From: "Nick Kalister" <molybdenum@domain.elided>
> Subject: 2002tii question
>
> Ok- I just bought a beautiful '73 tii a week ago, and I'm already having
> problems.  The car is hesitating under acceleration in a big way.
> Yesterday it became pretty much undriveable.  So, I took it in to the shop
> today (my repair manual hasn't come yet) and they seem to just be
> befuddled.  Maybe someone here can help.  The engine hasn't been rebuilt,
> and I don't have repair records, so many expensive tests have been run.
> First, the fuel pressure was checked, and it came out on the low end of ok.
>  Then, compression, which also came out fine.  Vacuum is also all right.
> Timing is fine as well.  The only things that they have figured out is that
> the engine is running very rich and the #2 sparkplug was fouled with oil.

This sounds like you have a severe mixture problem.  Since it's doing it
both hot and cold, I suspect that the linkage that goes to the injection
pump from the throttle pivot rod either popped off, or broke off the
plastic end link.  Look between the injection pump and the engine, and
check to see if the linkage is still in one piece and operational.

If that's okay, check the rest of the linkage.  The rod that goes up
to the throttle housing is 2 pieces -- check that they're tightly
clamped together.

> Now they want to run some kind of injector cleaner through the injection
> system, which they will be happy to charge me $100.  It sounds to me like
> they're just grasping, and I'd rather not spend a c-note on someone else's

Injector cleaner shouldn't make any difference on a tii.  With injection
pressures in the 400-500psi range, there isn't much of an opportunity
for crud to deposit in the injection system.  Sounds like the shop doesn't
have any tii experience.

> desperation.  Anyone have clues?  The hesitation is very marked, and only
> occurs under acceleration.  That's about it for characteristics.  It
> happens when the engine's hot or cold, going fast or slow.  HELP!!

Does it run smoothly at a constant speed?  Are they sure it's running
rich?  If it runs okay at a constant speed, and is not running really
rich, the filter and screens may be plugging up.  Check to see that the
electric fuel pump is pumping sufficient volume.

Hope this helps,
Ben