[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Stock BMW E36 sound systems.

 I keep reading about dissapointment with the stock BMW E36 sound
systems, be it the stock or HK upgraded system. And rightly so. But,
the head unit is not a bad unit (IMHO). Now, just to let you know
where I am coming from, I would have to consider myself an audiophile.
More importantly, a music lover. What that means is that I enjoy
the sicence of audio reproduction in addition to the music itself.

 I too have found the stock units lacking. But, I have also been quick
to recognize that the primary problem is the speakers, particularly the
read speakers. The bass is boomy, the highs are overly bright and there
is a peak in the midrange that is very irritating. The bass problem is
not supprising since BMW has chosen to design a little tuned port spaeker
enclosure. Unfortunately, it seems to be poorly designed and the bass, well
it sucks! Me thinks the tweeter is just a poor match. Probably too efficient
for the woofer. And the midrange peak? No doubt a poorly designed crossover.

 There is one other problem. I suspect that the speakers are the same independent of whether the interior is leather or cloth. Cloth will damp the highs a lot
more that the learher.

  Well, what I have done o bring the stock system into acceptable limits
without replacing the speakers is to remove the grills on the rear speakers
and place a 1 inch thick piece of sonex (open celled urethane foam) over the
tweeter and also covering about 2/3 of the woofer. It should not contact the
woofer cone. Then I replaced the grills.

 I set the control with the bass cut by about 1/2 and the trebble about
2 tics cut as well. Fade a little to the rear. While still far from perfect,
it is now quite listenable. Also, if the windows are open, increase the bass.

 If your are still not happy, my recomendation is to start by changing the
rear speakers. It will require some engineering to builb a mounting plate, or
a new box, but thats where the best bang for the buck will lie, again IMO.

 Just my $0.02!

 john k....