[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW Paint Issues

He wrote...
>Hi All,  What is the type of paint that BMW used on the 1988 E28 ///M5?
>I was going to repaint a couple of small areas and repair some paint
>chips and called the local dealer for a pint to a quart of "028" Schwarz.
>The parts guy said they do not have that much for sale but that I should
>go to the local PPG paint supplier, as that is where the dealer gets the
>paint they use.  Called the PPG retailer and he wanted to know what type
>of paint it was: acryllic enamel, acryllic urethane, etc.  I believe that the
>finish is not a clear coat, as black comes off using HD Cleanse.  Any
>help appreciated!

I just happened to be out yesterday and stopped by a local automotive paint
supply store.  I am looking at investing in paint and such to repaint my 1992
E36 stone hit areas and dings, etc.  My 1992 has a paint code of Schwarz II
(Jet Black).

I realize the various paint systems may be different between models, but
nontheless the information may be of interest to others out there as well.

BMW in recent years has been using a paint system from a company called
'Glassuer' (spelling could be wrong).  This paint system is urethane based and
somewhat flexible.  You can use it on the semi-flexible bumber parts as well.
The smallest volumes you can purchase the paint and support products are in
liters.  Typically you can get all the chemicals you need for a little less
than $200.  (cheap at twice the price !)

You will end up with the following:

Urethane based paint base.
Thinning agent (reducer)
Hardner (a catalyst used to harden the paint)
Urethane based primer (used to etch the underlying metal)
Clearcoat

You will need an Airbrush to apply the paint.  But regardless, remember that
surface preparation is key to any automotive painting project.  There are
numerous volumes written on automotive painting, I recommend going to the
library, rather than buying one.  After you do it a couple of times its fairly
easy, time consuming but easy.  You will rapidly gain a level of appreciation
for the bill you normally receive from a premium autobody paint shop.  No
matter what, be sure to wear a mask which is rated for paint application.

As a side note, you can find some spray can paint brands (The Dupli-color
'Import Color' product line specifically) which come real close to matching you
BMW finish (at least of you are in the primary colors).  The only thing you
should be aware of is that these paints are typically single coverage systems
(ie. they are designed to work without needing a clearcoat). They also are much
softer, since they cure differently.  A factory automotive finish uses reducers
and hardners to achieve a much higher level of hardness in the final paint.

joe.
'92 325i (Schwarz II)
'93 325i (Green Metallic ?)