[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Short Shift Kit (E28)

Greetings.  Scott, I think you have yourself a project.  I recently
installed a Bavarian Auto Sport short shift kit on my '86 528e.  Engine and
transmission are different, but for what its worth, here's my story.
Shifting was very vague (like two inches of play in the knob when the car was
in gear).  So I got the kit.
	The exhaust and driveshaft definitely have to come down in the 528,
and I also let the transmission down a couple of inches to get more clearance
above.  I don't remember exactly what implement I used to remove the spring
clip, but it wasn't just a quick "pop".  The pin fell out by itself.
	Once I had it apart, I found out the console mounting bushings were
shot.  Then I found out that the shift console mounting bushings are not
included with the kit.  Only the bushings that are part of the mechanism
being changed are included.  So check if you have all the bushings,
especially if you are doing this to correct lousy shifting.  Cost is another
$50.
	While I had the driveshaft out, I replaced the guibo (cracked) and
the shift rod seal on the back of the transmission (common source of gearbox
leaks).  Made a whole week out of the entire project, but the results are
most gratifying.  Worth the effort and cost.

	Have fun!
Brian

BMW CCA 65444
'74 2002 150k