[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2002 stories

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 15:53:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Barry Wellman <wellman@domain.elided>
To: yale rachlin <yaler1@domain.elided>
Cc: bmw lists <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
Subject: 2002 stories

Yale,

Your lovely Sept "2002" Roundel issue undoubtedly will evoke nostaligic
letters like this (which I'm also copying to the bimmer email list in
case Roundel has a case of 2002 overload). This is a tale of the dreaded
seatbelt interlock, found (thankfully enough) only on 1974 North American
spec. models:

In July 1974, Bev & I got our new North American spec. '02 through
European delivery at Park Motors, central London. It was a matter of
great admiration to all, because of the big kick-ass bumpers.
(Especially admired in our drive down the Dalmation coast, I recall.)

On delivery, we drove straight to our UK insurance brokers to get
coverage. For some reason, we got lost in London, and parked to phone for
directions. (Yes folks, in those ancient times, bimmers did not have
cellphones.) When we returned to the car, it would not start - only 5
miles and 30 minutes after delivery. In consternation, we called Park
Motors.

"Oh," they said, "you are a victim of US safety regulations which newly
require that a car won't start unless you are sitting in it with your seat
belt buckled."

"But we are!"

They thought, and then realized that BMW engineers had assumed that broad
Bavarian butts would be occupying the driver's seat. (Compiling with
Naderization was not BMW's forte in those days.) The solution:

"Jump up and down on the seat a few times so that the interlock sensor
will think that you are heavier."

It worked!

What worked even better was our first mod: disconnecting the interlock
system entirely the next day. It was well engineered for such purposes,
merely requiring undoing a simple snap-in wiring connection under the
driver's seat.

The car never gave us any trouble after that, including doing a 5K
kilometre circle tour of European back roads and mountain passes.

We've only driven small BMWs ever since; we're on our third one (1990
ix). We christen each new purchase by jumping up and down on the driver's
seat. They, too, have never given us any trouble.

 Barry Wellman             wellman@domain.elided

life history:
1955 Schwinn
1964 Corvair