[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Metric Mechanic Short-Shift Kit

>How do I reach the spring sleeve and cylindrical pin which are above
>where the drive shaft joins the transmission?  I hope you don't tell me
>I'll have to drop the shaft and transmission down.  This will also
>require the removal of the exhaust system and heat shield from the looks
>of things.

Scott - You are probably not going to like this.  I just installed the MM
short shift kit in my '88 M3 yesterday.  I was replacing the guibo at the
same time so I had to drop the exhaust and disconnect the propshaft
anyway.  I can't see how one would do this with both in the way but you
might try this.  Put the trans in reverse.  This will pull the shift
shaft all the way rearward and you might be able to get the circular
spring clip off with a small screwdriver.  A magnet might then pull the
pin out of the coupler as you wiggle it around.  My guess is that the
propshaft will have to be dropped in the front which usually requires
dropping the exhaust.

Sorry,
Stu Raike, St. Louis
'92 325i