[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Passing in the CorkScrew

>In regards to the bonzi pass in the Cork Screw in the Laguna Seca Indy race
>Carl Buckland said:
>
>>I, personally, thought it was a brilliant move!  However, if any of us
>>tried a move like that, at a BMW Club race, or even worse, at a Drivers
>>School, we'd be blackflagged for life.
>
>Well...in the club race after the historics a 2002 did the same thing.
>
>Juan Bruce

Juan:

You may be referring to the pass made by Darrel Lunge driving a 2000ti in
the club race.  (It looks sort of like an 02 when going fast enough.)
Darrel's pass was excellent, but was only slightly bonzai.  Zenardi's pass
in the Indy race was majorly bonzai.  I'm guessing that Zenardi intended
to do a pass like Darrel's (late brake, steal the line at the top of the
hill), but did not slow down enough, so he went off on driver's right on
the downhill section.  His excellent recovery and Herta's (sp?) utter lack
of preparation for the pass allowed it to stick.  I would not even think
about pulling that stunt in a BMW CCA driving school, but racing is a
whole different thing.  Curbs are merely "suggested boundaries" to the
racing surface.

- -MRM