[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: M3 vs. Miata

I have been asked privately:-

> Saw your signature line which states that you have a M3
> and a Miata.
>
> I know this question is out of left field but can you tell me
> which one you like better.

I was going to post _MY_ view on this when I saw John Browne's post about
"Making your car go faster: Part 1.1-- the driver" (Great post John)

He said:
> The problem with that is that in an E36 M3, the to drive the car close to the
> limits requires speeds that are just too dangerous for public roads. I live
in
> the foothills of the Cascade mountains here in the sunny Pacific NW, and
twisty
> roads are everywhere. I can drive at insane speeds without ever getting close
> to the limits of my car. It just isn't safe....

I have told a few M3 owners (at Richard's M3 gatherings) that I find the Miata
more _FUN_ to drive than the M3.  I am then usually down-rated in the persons
opinion to slightly touched in the head!  However, I still think so even after
owning the M3 for 7000 miles (It was delivered it in June - so I do drive it
some.) I have a few nice twisty roads near my home, here is what I think of
each car.  (Please remember, I'm not Road & Track, YMMV, my opinion only!)

Miata:  I can run the car to the red line in most of the gears. Heel and toe
down-shifts and really toss the car through the corners.  It has fantastic
suspension (double A arms complete with eccentric mounting bolts for complete
adjustability) and good brakes (though I do get some fade in the really twisty
downhill bits if push REALLY hard, but you can just scrub off speed by tossing
the car sideways!  I am changing pads, but that is another story.)  In other
words, the car is a sports car - light, nimble and wind in your hair fun with
an engine that loves to rev and the best gear shift I have ever used! (And made
in Japan - so it starts first time every time!)

M3: Breathtakingly fast. Fantastic handling. Loads of power (I had the Miata
supercharged for about 10000 miles but took it off - I liked the power but the
key is balance.) The problem with the M3 is that without a handy race track it
is too fast and that make it too dangerous to have the same fun.  I can't get
out of 3rd gear without going faster than I can get the Miata going on the same
road.  Now if going fast is your thing, it'll be hard to beat the M3.  How fast
is too fast? On one of my standard roads, the Miata can almost get to 100 at
the end of a long set of sweepers.  The M3 could reach 115 on the short
straight before you even get to the sweepers, down to 60 for the rt. hander and
you could max out the M3 before you are half way through the sweepers (about 6
flowing corners).  In both cases, you wouldn't have to leave your lane.  Now in
my book, 100 in a 25 mph zone is ridiculous, 137mph (still the stock limit) on
the same road is out of your mind.

In summary, you don't even have to shift in the M3 - pick 3rd, 4th or 5th and
cruise faster than is prudent vs the Miata which you have to work to get the
same speed.  More fun in the Miata!

Having said all that, I LOVE my M3.  The poor Miata gets left to my wife 9 out
of 10 times.  On the track I'd want the M3.  For shopping - the M3 (you can use
the Miata for most trips, you learn all about packing - as will Z3 owners!) For
long trips - depends M3 is quicker, quieter and takes more stuff/people but the
wind in you hair down Highway 1 takes some beating.  I enjoy the M3 in the
twisties but can't really DRIVE it HARD. (If it matters, the M3 uses more
expensive gas.)

So finally, to answer the question: I have both, it's too hard to choose.  I
don't think I would swap the convertible for the Miata Coupe - I've had it in
the snow (with the top down) and with the _correct_ tires it handles just fine
- - not fast, but not stuck.  Top down rules.  But the M3 is far more practical,
if you have a family and it's the main car the Miata won't cut it.  Both are
great cars but they are designed for different purposes. I need BOTH!

Hope that answers the question.  Any and all comments are welcome (but don't
shoot me on Monday at the M3 gathering!)

Brendon.
'96 M3
'93 MX-5