[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

From: Arthur Manowski <manowski@domain.elided>

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:55:13 +0800 (WST)
Subject: Back-firing into intake mainafold

I had this problem last summer on my E28 525i, I got into my parked car, =
sat down, turned the key,*****B A N G ! ! ! ******
Smoke shot through the facia vents and out of the front radiator grille, =
the smell of burning oil was chocking, I grabbed my firewasher, popped th=
e bonnet up and the engine compartment was thick with fading smoke.

I couldn't see what was wrong, so I tried starting the car again, and it =
just churned on the starter.

I called out the recovery folk who could not find the t-peice which goes =
into the rubber intake duct.=20

Anyway, after stripping down the complete intake assembly a minute hole w=
as found in short rubber pipe under the throttle body area which allowed =
fuel vapours to seep backwards from the plenum chamber and into the rocke=
r cavity, this obviously ignighted but would have not happened without a =
small induction leak. I would check the induction/untake assembly very th=
oroughly if I were you.

Regards RCC.