[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

About to buy new 318ti California

Hi,

    I'm new to the list and normally I would lurk for awhile - you learn
the most interesting things that way.  But I'm getting close to the
actual purchase of a new 96 318ti California - you know, the one with the
whopping big hole cut in the roof and the electric canvas sunroof.  It's
red (well, I mean RED) and has the trip computer and traction control as
the options.

    I need some of the net wisdom.  Is there anything I should know
before concluding the purchase?  I know a group of BMW nuts isn't the
place to go for discouragement about such a purchase but there is bound
to be some good information out there.

    I like hatchbacks.  My wife's car is a 86 Saab 900 that we bought
new.  I've been driving a 81 VW Rabbit (diesel, cough, cough) for the
past 10 years (to pay for the Saab).  Now it's time for something else.

    I think I've got a decent deal on the car.  I can get it for $2000
under MSRP (about $23.5k).  Are there other things I should try to get
tossed into the deal that I don't know about.  How about official shop
manuals?  Are they available?  Floor mats, foglights,...???

    Is this car likely to have any unique appeal in 10 years?  Not that
I'm after a collector car but the thought that it would have added value
as an older car only helps the decision.  I'm told that they are only
making 400 but that could be salesman talk.

   Anyway, thanks in advance.

Pete Andrews
andrews-pf@domain.elided