[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Winter Tires & weight/projectiles

Tom said:

>As an aside, the best and cheapest trick for winter driving in an E-30
>(2wd
>anyway) is sand in the trunk.  I carry 120-180 lbs in plastic tote bins.

This is usually a cheap and very popular BAD idea.  Imagine someone cuts
you off and sends you into a bridge pillar at 60 mph.  You stop - how
fast is the 180 lbs in the trunk going?  People get killed by cinder
blocks flying right through the rear seat backrests.  It's hard to
believe they would stop a 180 lb. box of sand going 60 mph.

Although I like the Tourings, this is why I wouldn't buy one.  If you
drive one, try to be sure heavy things are as secure as possible.

If you still want to do this, put the weight (lead bricks - they have
their own handling problems) under the spare tire (make sure the spare is
bolted in).

Best,
Kurt Gibble '92 E34 M50 - see some of you at LRP tomorrow
(Thanks to Jamie, Don, and Eric about the M6 clutch - I'll post
resolution when it is.)