[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> Unleaded fuel-help!

"Brendon Whateley" <brendon@domain.elided> writes:
>If you run a car designed for leaded fuel on unleaded you can run into
different problems, the main one being damage to the valve seats.  The amount
>of damage depends on the design, generally older engines suffer damage quicker.
> You end up needing a complete valve job, if you are lucky, else a new head.

Every report I've read says that it's usually not a problem at all to run
unleaded fuel in a car designed for leaded fuel.  The worry of valve seat
recession is way overstated.  From what I've heard, you only need to worry
if you're putting heavy loads on the engine (like towing or racing).  If
you're only doing normal driving (city and highway), then just use the
unleaded.

Lets not forget that during it's last few years when leaded fuel was available,
it had less lead content than *unleaded* did when it was first introduced.

        Just my $0.02 worth (+/-),
               Larry.
Lawrence R. Schwarcz, Software Design Engr/NCD      Internet:  lrs@domain.elided
Hewlett Packard Company                               Direct:  (408) 447-2543
19420 Homestead Road MS 43LN                            Main:  (408) 447-2000
Cupertino, CA 95014                                      Fax:  (408) 447-2264
Internal-only WWW: http://hpisrhw.cup.hp.com/~lrs/homepage.html
O-
             Copywight (c) 1996 Elmer Fudd.  All wights wesewved.