[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E12> '81 528i for sale

Hi all-

The summer has come and gone, and it's back to school for us
poor engineering graduate students.  A lot of the things I
wanted to do to my car over the summer just didn't get done,
so rather than watch the car fall apart over the winter, I
thought someone here might have a little more time to
appreciate this car.  So, as the subject says, my car is for
sale.  Details:

1981 528i
Odometer: 116,xxx although probably closer to 125,xxx
(stopped working for awhile, and now works when it feels like)

Engine:  Solid running, 100% reliable, even in upstate NY
winters!  Oil 'loss' of ~1 quart per 500 miles, but evidence
suggest leakage from timing chain cover area (another one of
those things I didn't get to this summer).  Started a tune-up
last weekend, and will finish next weekend including valve
adjustment, timing adjustment, new oil, fuel and air filters
(and new oil, of course).  Engine still runs up to ~5000RPM
without complaining, and has lots of power up in that range :)
Car was driven from Albany, NY to Washington, DC and back this
summer on a single tank of gas (14.5 gallons) which figures to
around 27 mpg.  Closer to 22-23 in daily driving.

Interior:  Good to very good condition for its age.  One small
tear in drivers seat, uncracked dash, fairly clean headliner,etc.

Body:  Small rust spots in common places (bottoms of doors,
wheel wells), big rust spots underneath rubber bumper ends on
front fenders.  I've been told that _new_ fenders can be bought
for this car for ~$85, but haven't investigated yet.  Started
working on body about 1 month ago, ran out of time before school.

Auxillary components:  Sunroof, power windows, heat, interior and
exterior lights all work fine.  Power locks work when they want
to.  Air conditioning not functional since I bought the car
(~1yr ago).

NEW components:  As I said, I was planning on keeping this car for
awhile, and thus have replaced all of the following this summer (i.e.
less than 5000 miles on all parts):
Radiator
Rear brake rotors
Rear brake pads
Clutch slave cylinder
Brake master cylinder
Rear tires (in July)
As well as normal maintainance items (hoses,etc.)

Car has been used as a daily driver by myself and previous owner
for ~3 years, and could continue as such with no effort whatsoever.
I would rather sell the car to someone who has time to improve it than
keep it myself.  Solidness of engine would also make this a wonderful
project car for someone with the inclination (and $).

Price:  $2500 negotiable

Please feel free to email me at warrer@domain.elided or call me at (518)276-8063
during the day, or (518)237-7726 after 6:00.  The car is located in
Troy, NY, approximately 5 miles from Albany, NY.  Will consider
delivery in the Northeast.

Sorry this is so long :)

Ryon Warren
'81 528i (for sale)
'95 VW Golf (no maintainance required, yet)