[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E 28 caliper problem

Ilia Zharkov <izharkov@domain.elided>  ASKS:

I have the following problem. Under intense braking the left front
wheel becomes  extremely hot (much hotter then the right one),
smells like burning pads, all covered with black powder and car
starts behaving like it (the wheel) is out of balance (considerable
shimmy at 55-60mph). If I am driving on highway with very light
braking, then everithing is OK. The problem seemed to switch the
side after I'd changed the pads. Before that same thing was going on
but only with the right wheel. Couple of people I've talked to say
that the cause is oldness and rustiness of the caliper.  I'd like to
hear your advice about this before I try to change the caliper.

ANSWER:  Rebuilding your calipers is a simple and inexpensive process. 2
Rebuilding kits, some brake fluid and 300 grit emery cloth will get it done for
about $25.  Suggest you try this before spending lots for new or rebuilt
calipers.
Hope this helps
Bob
Many BMWs