[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chipping an E-36 automatic

Jonathan wrote:

From: Jonathan Forbes <jforbes@domain.elided>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:23:26 -0700
Subject: Chipping an E36 automatic

I have a 1995 325is automatic, and have been reading some digest mail
about the JimC chip for the E36, in particular a message from Jay Kenty
a couple of digests ago.

Is the chip suitable for an automatic, or is there really no point?  As
I'm sure everyone knows, the 325i's engine doesn't start to come alive
until at least 3000 rpm, due to the lack of low end torque, and the
automatic only exaggerates the problem.

Would the chip fix the deficit in the low-rpm range?  Are there any
tradeoffs; will the car not be as powerful or torquey in some other rpm
range; will it be less smooth or more noisy; does fuel consumption
skyrocket?  Is the engine more likely to fail? (are we doing something
analagous to overclocking a 120 MHz CPU at 133 MHz?)  If there are no
downsides, is there a reason why BMW didn't program the car's
electronics that way in the first place?

What are the torque/horsepower specs on the chipped car?  The stock 325
has specs of something like 189 hp @ 5900rpm, 181 ft-lb @ 4200 rpm.

I would dearly love to increase the low end torque of my car, but not
enough to trade in for a 328!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jonathan and others considering the upgrade.
To put it simply:
Have no doubts or fears: go for it!!

- -I dont think you will drastically increase low end torqe :-(,
BTW these automatics have different gearing (3.91) and actually
low end torque from a red light is not so bad if you step on it.
I have 94 325is tricked out (manual trans and chip was my first mod.)

I was so impressed  I got the Dinan chip for my wife's 92 325.
Nice improvement but not as much fun as with my manual, because the
bloody thing was shifting at lower rps, than I would if it was a
 manual.
Then I got the Dinan matching transmission chip which
definately did the trick!!

Get BOTH chips, put your trans. in sports mode, find an open strip of
road and STEP ON IT (full throttle). I personally  guarantee a big
smile on your face.

 Do not wory about engine abuse, the chip simply "fine tunes"
the engine for use of the premium fuel.and that also answers your
another qestion:"Why BMW dos not do it right from the factory?"

Well the engine is  "tuned down" with stock chip because the
manufacturer is expecting it to perform reasonably well and safe even
when you get an occassional bad  tank of gass or take the car for a
trip to another country with somewhat lass strict octane grading. The
chip just "wakes it up". It does not "slave" the engine.
However , using of premium gasoline is a must after the installation
of any aftermarket chip.

It will not be less smooth , more noisy or less torqey then before chip
installation. (If anything it will improve in all of those areas.
With the trans. chip you will improve smoothness,engine chip will
improve the HP(205-207 ?) AND the torque but not necessary low end.

My milage got actually better after instalation (until I started to
have more fun with it and started to punch it more. then it was abbout
the same or 1/2 to 1 mph less but that was  "driver" related and
actually had nothing to to with the chip.

I am being honest: for afew hundred dollars you will think you
just bought another car.

I am going to get all J.C's chips in  the near future on both cars.
(He is busy, but the waiting is worth it)
My second choice is Dinan (which I have now). I don't think I would
even consider anything else than these two.
 Hope this helps.

Good luck. Be careful everybody, because after I put in that chip I
became a BMW  junkie  :-) and started to spend a lot more money on my
cars than I ever thought possible.

                    Milos Klacko      [ carbon fiber anybody :-))  ?? ]
                    782 Cherrybrooke Ct.
                    Tarpon Springs, FL 34689