[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> My car is red hot

Hello '02 Lovers Everywhere,

Once again, I need to pick your minds for some advice regarding my 1975
'02.  This afternoon as I drove home I noticed that the temp needle was
firmly planted in the red - not what I wanted to see.  I made it home and
found coolant dripping from the car.  No coolant in the radiator, but the
block was still holding its share.  The water pump had been emitting a
noticeable, but not threatening growl for a few months, and I was sort of
waiting for something to happen before I put on a new pump.

So here's what I need to know - given the symptoms that I've described,
should I have the radiator checked first, then change the pump?  At the
same time, since the radiator will be out of the car, should I do some
other stuff up front?  Timing chain?  Gaskets? Tighten stuff up?  Are there
any things I should be wary of while I'm doing this?  Could I consider
putting a used 320i water pump on?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - I need to get this done soon so I
can get back to concentrating on work.  You can respond to me privately or
to the Digest since there are always some new '02 owners out there who
gobble up any advice they can get.

I truly want to thank those of you who have been so generous with your time
and advice this past year.  Owning and working on my '02 has been one of
the most satisfying activities I have ever had, and the help from this
Digest has been invaluable.

Thanks,

Dean Davis
1975 2002