[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Leaded Fuel

> cats@domain.elided writes:
> >        In Romania we have problem with unleaded fuel. For a month there
> >would not be unleaded fuel on the market, and I don't want to keep my car
> >garaged.
> >If I put normal fuel (here it is possible to find only 92-95 ) the
> >Katalizator will be blemish? It is possible to make problem for car with
> >this fuel?

The katalizator will be ruined if you try to run too much leaded fuel in
the car.  However, it should not harm the engine (I am unsure of the fuel
injection getting gummed up).  I have run US Standard cars for 6 years
on leaded fuel without damage to the engine (the less than desirable
roads are a different story).  There are many countries that do not yet
have unleaded fuel available.

I recommend two alternatives to you:

1.  Remove the catalytic converter and run a straight pipe to the muffler
from the previous input to the converter.  This will allow you to save
your converter for the day when unleaded gas is plentiful.  I do not know
if you have access to mechanics familiar with the Fuel Injection system,
but this may require some adjustment.

2.  If you are patient, you can write a letter to BMW and explain your
situation.  They undoudtedly sell leaded fuel cars and may have a kit that
will allow easy modification of your bimmer to leaded fuel.

We in the US have the opposite problem.  If we have an older, leaded fuel
car, we cannot get it and unleaded will cause damage to the valves.

If I can be of further assistance, feel free to e-mail me.  Jim

James M. Dodmead (Jim)			Network Engineering and
nets@domain.elided				Technical Services (NETS), Inc.
O 301.854.5503				14825 Burntwoods Road
F 410.489.7508                          Glenwood, MD  21738