[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <02> 320i steering wheel in a 2002

Troy D. Brewster" <tbrewste@domain.elided> wrote:

> ...I have heard there is a problem getting the horn to =

> work.  What is the work-around for this problem? =

  I've fitted a 320i steering wheel in my '75 2002a last year. Though I
haven't measured it, seems to be the same configuration as my '74 tii
steering wheel but with a fixed as opposed to removable center pad. The
horn switch ring is reversed from the 2002 and so a contact to the ring
on the 2002 steering column must be made.
  For lack of a spare 2002 wheel at the time, I kludged it Q&D with a 1"
brass paper fastener (FWIW: Bildemup (tm)#4 =97  the old non-clip type
with a tack-like head with a flat cotter pin-like point). The head is
1/2 wedged under the back part of the 320i steering wheels contact ring.
[Loosen one of the phillips screws holding down the ring a bit, wedge
the fastener head under the ring and then tighten down so the sides of
the pointed part of the fastener will splay out along the arc of the
ring in both directions]. =

  The paper fastener point was bent with a curve at it's tips to contact
the 2002 steering column ring with a fairly flat surface. '02a's horn
works fine after a little adjustment in bending the tabs to match the
column ring. A slightly scratchy noise when turning the wheel might be
lessened or eliminated by curling up the long edges on the sides of the
fastener a bit and adding a dab of lubricant of some type.
  Any other methods might have accomplished the task, the best possibly
being to try and "graft on" the contact from a 2002 somehow. =

Good luck,
Bill Boyd  '02's and 3.0CS etc.