[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <02> M42 (318is engine)

>From: Jay Snyder <jsnyder@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 12:12:57 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: <02> M42 (318is engine)
>
>Has anyone ever put an M42 (16V 1.8L 318is) engine in a 2002?  As I
>consider powerplant selection for my '02, this one comes to mind.
>
>I'd really like an E30-M3 engine, but they are priced to high.  How much
>does an M42 typically bring?  Am I better off just building an '02 engine
>with a CAM & dual webbers, or maybe injection?

Jay,

Simplicity and reliability are what make the 2002 great. Stick to this
credo, and you will be fine.

The best price/performance/economy option for a 2002 is a rebuilt engine
with a hotter cam and a Weber 40DFAV; this may not be as sexy as an M3
engine, fuel injection, or even dual 40DCOEs; but it works well and is
extremely reliable. You won't sacrifice fuel economy or driveability.

Once you diverge from this engine, there are decreasing returns to scale.
Each extra hp will cost more than the last. You will spend more time
fiddling with your car than driving it

There is a point where it makes more sense to buy a tii for $3-5K -- one
that already has: tii struts (an upgrade you will want to do to improve
the brakes), no rust (it never sleeps),  and 140hp off pump gas.

Of course, you can spend $2-3K on a higher performance engine, and then
fix the rust (cost=???). Then, there is the 5 speed (>$1200) and better
seats (>$500). You will spend money that you will never see again. This
will be for a car that is inherently noisy, has terrible ventilation, and
that doesn't accept fuel from vapor-recovery nozzles.

Spend $1500 and get the car on the road. Accept it for what it is, and
don't try to make it something it's not. It's a free 2002!!! Drive it and
laugh at how little it costs you. Enjoy it! it's a great car! If you want
more, get a tii; you won't regret it.

Best,

Dan Taylor
'73 2002 turkis (278K and counting)