[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<E36> Reducing Roll

Mauricio, with an '93 318is, asks:
>What can I do to improve the handling characteristics of the car?
>I know that everything is a compromise and that more performance
>generally equals less comfort, but I would still like to install
>some upgrades.

You've got the right idea.  Stiffening up a car with heavier springs,
sway bars, and shocks makes it more responsive.  The downside is that
the extra responsiveness/stiffness, taken too far, can be hard to
live with.

I've been very happy with my (Dinan Stage 3) springs, bilstein
sport shocks, camber plates, and adjustable sway bars.  My
'88 E28 M5 is more responsive, but still fine for a daily commuter.
If you're interested, my suspension posting can be found on the
BMW Digest Home Page Faq
ftp://ftp.wizvax.net/pub/personal/rwelty/Autos/bmw/
Section 11.5.2 M5 Suspension
(Thanks Rick Kjeldsen, FAQ Editor in Chief)

>Will an upper strut-tie-bar reduce the body roll?

No, strut bars just keep the strut towers from flexing.
Body roll can only be reduced by lowering the car, stiffer
springs, or stiffer sway bars (also raising the front and
rear roll centers, but that's more of suspension layout issue).

>I recently upgraded to 17" rims and noticed big difference in road
>feel, turn in response and cornering abilities.

Yes, like the other suspension pieces, stiffer tires make a car
more responsive.  Same goes for the downsides.  You probably now feel
more steering kickback and other disturbances on rough roads.

  Regards,

  Pete Read
  '88 M5