[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A4 comments

Here's a reply I'm directing toward the 328 vs A4 question that
could be applied by anyone looking for help in deciding which car
to choose.  I know I feel funny giving someone advice when I don't
know their priorities in choosing a new car.  So, I'd suggest
they make their own matrix to help them decide.  The idea is
to create a weighting matrix for the cars under consideration,
add up the totals, and ta-da, a number to take some of the
emotion out of the equation.

Here's a matrix I might use.  Choose the weighting and scores as
you feel they apply to you.  This is how I applied them to me.
You could use car and driver or road and track criteria if you like.
(they don't tell you their weighting factors, only the car score)
Do this on a spread sheet if you got one.

Criteria	factor	CarA score	CarB score	CarC score
		(1-10)	(328)		(A4-quat)	(95M3)
price/value	8x	7	56	9	72	8	64
resale value	5x	7	35	5	25	7	35
0-60 perf	6x	7	42	5	30	8	48
60-0 perf	6x	7	42	7	42	8	48
handling dry	6x	8	48	6	36	9	54
handling wet	5x	7	35	8	40	7	35
inter. feature	6x	8	48	9	54	7	42
inter. fit/fin	6x	7	42	9	54	7	42
styling		8x	8	64	8	64	9	72
reliability	7x	6	42	5	35	6	42
insurance	5x	8	40	9	45	6	30
gas mileage	4x	8	32	9	36	8	32

Total				526		533		544

note: I've got a lot of handling, perf measurements so I didn't
weight each one as high as a single entry catagory like styling.
You need to be honest with yourself about the weighting factors
because they make a big difference.  The scores between cars isn't as
arbitrary, you can always pick one over the other.  Get out there
and drive 'em, then make up you mind....  :^)

Have fun,
Dan
'95 540
'95 M3

PS: if I made math errors don't bother to tell me, it's an
example...